90 percent of Americans believe registering as organ and tissue donors is the right thing to do.
But approval doesn’t translate into practice. On average, only 54%* of us are actually registered. In some states, it’s much lower. The biggest reason? People just don’t think about it.
That’s why #BeTheGift. It’s the nationwide campaign to raise awareness and drive everyone to register to be an organ and tissue donor online.
On average, 20 people die every day waiting for a life-saving transplant. Only one thing is contributing to these agonizing waits: not enough registered donors. Imagine the number of lives that can be changed if we close that gap! Anyone can be a donor. There are no age limits. There are no physical or medical requirements. There is no waiting period or test.
YOU can make a difference.
The impact of one organ and tissue donor is extraordinary. One person can:
- Save up to eight lives through the donation of lungs, liver, heart, kidneys, pancreas, and intestines
- Impact the lives of 75 or more people through tissue donation. For example:
- Heart valves can be transplanted into children born with congenital heart defects
- Skin tissue can be used to heal burn victims and for those who suffer from a disfiguring injury or disease
- Restore sight to those whose vision has been compromised through corneal donation
Please participate now. It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s free.